LMI is seeking a Part-Time Accessibility Consultant to serve as an advocate for accessibility and equity, a resource for colleagues who need to develop accessible products, and provides outreach and training for project managers, web designers, developers and content providers. This entails applying specific functional knowledge to develop or contribute toward solutions to a variety of problems of moderate scope and complexity. This position can be supported remotely. Candidates must be able to pass a background check and obtain a security clearance if needed. You must be a U.S. Citizen.
LMI is a consultancy dedicated to powering a future-ready, high-performing government, drawing from expertise in digital and analytic solutions, logistics, and management advisory services. We deliver integrated capabilities that incorporate emerging technologies and are tailored to customers’ unique mission needs, backed by objective research and data analysis. Founded in 1961 to help the Department of Defense resolve complex logistics management challenges, LMI continues to enable growth and transformation, enhance operational readiness and resiliency, and ensure mission success for federal civilian and defense agencies.
Support to be provided may include:
- Assess the maturity of the existing accessibility program through document review and focus groups and select interviews.
- Identify maturity gaps and recommend actions to reach the desired maturity level.
- Develop an action plan to implement an effective and compliant accessibility program in collaboration with CIO, HR and other stakeholders.
- Produce and deliver a 508 program maturity assessment report, recommendations to close maturity level gaps, and a draft implementation plan.
- Provide recommendations for remediation or mitigate problems by fixing identified accessibility issues when possible
- Review a wide range of products, content, and materials to ensure compliance with Sections 504 or 508 accessibility standards, including WCAG
- Gather basic test data and evaluates the results of tests to determine if product designs and architecture meets specifications and performance expectations
- Collaborate with other engineering groups to improve or upgrade Accessibility features and/or product performance
- Provide technical assistance and remediation guidance to developers
- Recommend potential solutions by evaluating new and emerging assistive technologies that support Reasonable Accommodations designed to increase accessibility
- Deliver accessibility training and seminars as needed for the program
- Keep track of customer journeys and identify gaps in the customer experience
The ideal candidate would have experience:
- Applying Section 508 Standards to acquisition-related activities
- Evaluating, assessing, and resolving accessibility issues to wide-ranging types of facilities, programs, and services
- Creating and providing effective and engaging training programs that are 508 compliant
- Facilitating the implementation of the policies and procedures related to federal and state disability laws regarding access for people with disabilities, including Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the ADA
- Supporting research projects, capability development efforts, and innovation efforts
- Maintaining current knowledge of Section 508, its amendments, updates, and industry best practices for IT accessibility
- Working in an agile environment and having the ability to adjust tasks and focus as needed
- Bachelor’s or Masters degree preferred, 10+ years of experience
- Knowledge of IT accessibility requirements, including 508 standards, law and policy; and
- Familiarity with the other components of the Rehabilitation Act (Sections 501, 503, and 504)
- Ability to develop a variety of written and presentation-based work products and deliverables
- Ability to work in a team based environment.
- Have an understanding of assistive technologies used by people with disabilities
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and SharePoint
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and presentation skills
- Excellent customer relationship management skills
- Management consulting experience
- US Citizen and eligible to obtain a clearance