Wichita, KS 67203, USA
The College Success Program Mentors provide college students who are blind or visually impaired guidance, direction, and support as they navigate post-secondary education. Mentors utilize lived experience and expertise, as well as CSP’s resource library, to encourage students to create and follow their own path to success.
This position can be performed from any location via telecommuting.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE
- Communicate with students/mentees via pre-scheduled phone calls, virtual conferencing, or email at least once per month, preferably bi-weekly.
- Complete interaction documentation to summarize information that must be communicated to CSP program staff.
- Engage with the mentee to provide informative and practical guidance. Actively listen and offer suitable options that meet their individual needs.
- Encourage student/mentee to set SMART goals.
- Be knowledgeable of local/campus resources for referral.
- Forward appropriate resource information to the student/mentee that relate to topics discussed.
- Provide assistance with development of web content (including updating or creating resources, facilitating webinars or facilitating workshops), specifically in areas of expertise or interest, as requested by program staff.
- Participate in other Envision/CSP activities as required to achieve organizational goals.
By design, Mentors will NOT:
- Dispense specific legal advice
- Provide psychological advice
- Offer help or recommendations on specific programs
- Replace the guidance offered by expert medical, social, psychological, or legal professionals
JOB REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE
Education: Completed a Bachelor degree in any field.
- Understanding of the needs of a college student who is blind or visually impaired
- Proficient in use of disability specific technology for example: a screen reader such as JAWS, or a braille note-taker such as a BrailleNote, CCTV etc.
- Ability to proficiently access and use MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.), Google docs and calendars
- Operating knowledge of Windows or Mac
- Ability to build rapport with variety of personalities, over the phone and via email
- Ability to communicate openly, honestly and respectfully
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong planning and time management
- Highly motivated, innovative and adaptable
- Demonstrated good judgment, attention to detail and follow through
- Talent for providing solutions and understanding their impact
Total Number of Employees Directly Supervising: 0
Number of Subordinate Supervisors Reporting to Position: 0
VISION REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE
Can be performed with or without assistive technology:
_ Required to perform activities such as: preparing/analyzing data/figures; viewing a computer screen; reading; inspecting small objects for defects; using measuring devices; and/or assembling parts with close eye contact.
Required to perform activities such as: operating machinery and/or power tools at or within arm’s reach; performing non-repetitive tasks such as carpentry work or repairing machinery.
__ Required to review/inspect own assigned work, the work of others, or facilities or structures.
Requires normal (or corrected to normal) vision/acuity:
___ Required to operate motor vehicles and/or heavy equipment such as forklifts.
Envision, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without illegal discrimination because of race, color, sex, age, gender identity, disability, religion, citizenship, national origin, ancestry, military status or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, domestic violence victim status, predisposing genetic characteristics and genetic information, and any other status protected by law.
Envision employs and advances in employment individuals with disabilities and veterans, and treats qualified individuals without discrimination on the basis of their physical or mental disability or veteran status.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position description is intended to convey generally the duties of this job. It is not an all-inclusive listing of duties, and it is not a contract, expressed or implied.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE
In an average workday, employee must (check one frequency for each task):
Reach above shoulders
X <10 lbs.
Employee must use hands for repetitive action such as (please check all):
WORKING CONDITIONS INCLUDE
In an average workday, employee is exposed to (check one frequency for each task):
General shop or store conditions
General office environment
Humid, extreme hot/cold temps (non-weather)
Outdoor weather conditions
Fumes or airborne particles
Moving, mechanical parts
Loud noise intensity levels
Risk of electrical shock
Travel for job