Instructor - Statistics
Job SummaryFull-time members of the faculty are professional educators who have the primary responsibility of fulfilling the Colleges’ mission, vision, values, strategic plan, President’s & Board of Trustees’ charges and educational philosophy, and primary goal of providing a quality education for all students attending the College. Faculty members are classified according to the ranks of Instructor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor. Faculty members are subject to Board policies, including academic freedom, and are also bound by its accompanying responsibilities. The relationship of the faculty member to the student is one of leader, teacher, adviser, mentor, and facilitator of learning. This position is intended to be in elementary and advanced statistics instruction.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Instruction & Student Learning
- Teaches assigned courses as scheduled and assumes primary responsibility for and exercises oversight of the curriculum in conjunction with the Department’s policies, ensuring both the rigor of programs and the quality of instruction.
- Designs curriculum embracing diversity, in all forms, to foster talent in students while modeling inclusive teaching strategies, with an understanding of the socio-cultural issues of traditionally underrepresented groups.
- Considers individual differences of students in order to design and support a range of appropriate learning activities.
- Participates in the identification of students with academic or other needs and responds by utilizing an appropriate resource.Uses technology in a manner appropriate to the nature and objectives of courses and programs and communicates clearly to students the expectations concerning the use of such technology.
- Keeps accurate and appropriate records in accordance with the Faculty Handbook and departmental policies.
- Maintains attendance records, determines and submits grades timely, and in accordance with established policies and procedures of the College, and communicates progress feedback as well as other relevant information to students throughout the semester.
- Create and maintain accurate syllabi that incorporate departmental, college, cross-college, and instructor requirements.Participates in the selection of appropriate materials to support course curriculum in accordance with the College’s guidelines.
- Conducts classes punctually and in accordance with the prescribed meeting schedule.Employs and assists in the design and development of appropriate assessment techniques to measure students’ performance in achieving course goals and objectives.
- Be a facilitator of learning in a virtual environment.
Student Engagement & Advisement
- Creates a positive classroom atmosphere that encourages active and collaborative learning, student effort, academic challenge, student and faculty interaction, and support for learners.
- Maintains posted office hours in accordance with departmental and policies of the College.Uses technology to assist in communication with students.Encourages a sense of community among students for learning both inside and outside the classroom.
- Advises potential or current students within the discipline about the program, career, or transfer options available to assist with degree completion.
- Refers students to appropriate student and academic support services available at the College or in the community.
- Promotes continual improvement as part of the cycle of teaching and learning by: assisting, as appropriate, in the maintenance of instructional materials and laboratory facilities; contributing, as appropriate, to the development, selection, and improvement of instructional materials, laboratories, and other instructional facilities; providing guidance in the development, maintenance, and design of course description, course outlines, and syllabi; recommending modifications to the curriculum and participating in the design of new curricula.
- Completes all mandatory performance evaluation measures within specified time limits and participates in all required training by the College.Shares best practices with colleagues in formal or informal settings.
- Participates in instructional, departmental, or institutional research to improve educational effectiveness.Evaluates teaching and assessment practices to continue improving them.Provides feedback, as appropriate, regarding the general operations of the department, division and the College.
- Participates, as appropriate, in the interviewing, selection, and orientation processes of department faculty and staff.Provides advice and/or assistance to faculty within the department, division, or College.
- Attends faculty meetings as called by the President, Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs, Dean or Department Chairperson; and participates, as appropriate, on departmental and divisional committees.
- Maintains a personal portfolio for tenure and promotion review and other career-related needs.Employs student, administrative and self-appraisals to establish goals and objectives for professional development, and participates in professional development activities.
- Contributes, as appropriate, to the planning, evaluation, and/or presentation of college professional development programs.Maintains required professional credentials, licensing, and continuing education hours as disciplinary standards dictate.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
- Helps to ensure the College meets its responsibilities in identifying areas of opportunity and systemic concerns while reporting complaints alleging discrimination.
- Creates a welcoming, inclusive, equitable and productive work and learning environment where all students, faculty members, and college employees feel valued and are able to contribute to their full potential, regardless of their differences.
- Ensures accessible and inclusive curriculum design and teaching strategies, and specifically promotes, advises, and supports curriculum development aimed at creating a diverse and equitable learning environment.
- Fosters and maintains a safe environment of respect and inclusion for faculty, staff, students, and members of the community.
- Master's Degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Mathematical Sciences.
- Two (2) years' teaching experience in the discipline.
- Master's Degree in a related field with 18 hours in the content area.
- Two (2) years' teaching experience in the discipline.
Additional License Requirements:
- State Motor Vehicle Operator's License or demonstrable ability to gain access to work site(s).
- College Credit Plus has evolved into a vital part of the College's enrollment and strategic vision for the future. Candidates with an interest in this initiative are encouraged to apply. Depending on operational need, faculty may be required to teach College Credit Plus (CCP).
Salary Details 2023: 9 Month Instructor Salary: $47,160 - $60,086
Optional Summer Semester (Full load): $15,257 - $17,088
Optional Overload (maximum amounts shown):
- Autumn Semester (12 contact hours): $11,520
- Spring Semester (12 contact hours): $11,520
- Summer Semester (9 contact hours): $8,640
CSCC has the right to revise this position description at any time. This position description does not represent in any way a contract of employment.
Full Time/Part Time:Full time
Union (If Applicable):Columbus State Education Association
In order to ensure your application is complete, you must complete the following:
- Please ensure you have all the necessary documents available when starting the application process. For all faculty positions (Instructor, Annually Contracted Faculty, and Adjunct), you will need to upload an unofficial copy of your transcript when completing your aplication.
- Prior to submitting your application, please review and update (if necessary) the information in your candidate profile as it will transfer to your application.
If you are a current employee of Columbus State Community College, please log in to Workday to use the internal application process.
Thank you for your interest in positions at Columbus State Community College. Once you have applied, the most updated information on the status of your application can be found by visiting your Candidate Home. Please view your submitted applications by logging in and reviewing your status.