LMI is seeking a skilled Senior Data Engineer to support data pipelining and sustainment of a client’s SQL database. Successful Data Engineers demonstrate competency in data acquisition, data analysis, programming, project execution, and critical thinking. In addition, LMI Data Engineers have demonstrated experience in collaborating with other Data Engineers and with effective communication with clients.
LMI is a consultancy dedicated to powering a future-ready, high-performing government, drawing from expertise in digital and analytic solutions, logistics, and management advisory services. We deliver integrated capabilities that incorporate emerging technologies and are tailored to customers’ unique mission needs, backed by objective research and data analysis. Founded in 1961 to help the Department of Defense resolve complex logistics management challenges, LMI continues to enable growth and transformation, enhance operational readiness and resiliency, and ensure mission success for federal civilian and defense agencies.
LMI has been named a 2022 #TopWorkplace in the United States by Top Workplaces! We are honored to be recognized as a company that values a people-centered culture, and we are grateful to our employees for making this possible!
This data engineer will work as part of a team of experienced data scientists, data analysts, and full stack developers to develop and maintain applications that enable client business processes. Responsibilities include:
- Defining and developing techniques to integrate, consolidate, and structure data for functional workflows and analytical use
- Understanding complex and organization-specific datasets.
- Producing dashboards and visualizations to support complex client requirements.
- Conducting root cause analysis, identifying errors, and refactoring pipelines as needed.
- Performing analyses to answer routine and ad hoc questions as identified in the data being leveraged
- Developing and improving standard operating procedures.
- Communicating with data analysts and developers to design tools and applications to improve response to repeat requests.
- Researching, analyzing and documenting the benefits of various technical approaches.
- Proposing alternative designs and processes to manage various types of data using both standard and custom tables and fields.
- Working in teams and independently.
- Understand and analyze complex and organization-specific datasets.
- Support the maturation of data quality
- Support the transformation of businesses process through automation
- Transform data and analysis into informative visualizations and interactive dashboards using open-source and commercially available visualization and dashboard tools
- Advising on the interpretation and use of data analysis products, dashboards and reports to non-technical customers
- Assisting the development of junior teammates through technical mentoring, code review, and other assistance.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, mathematics, computer science, information systems, data analytics, or other related business or quantitative discipline
- 7+ years experience in data engineering or related field
- Experience with ETL process and concepts
- Knowledge and experience manipulating and joining data from various sources and in various formats.
- Ability to query datasets from multiple sources, knowledge of data refresh methodologies, and ability to leverage data models.
- High level of competency with data engineering coding languages like SQL and Python
- Self-starter with the vision to independently identify opportunities for improvement through data analytics
- A true team player who maintains a positive attitude in a dynamic environment
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral
- Proven ability to work with business customers and technical teams
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent customer relationship management skills
- Innovative problem-solving skills and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work on client site in the NCR in Washington, D.C.
- This position requires an active security clearance at the TS/SCI level with the ability/willingness to receive a polygraph. Current polygraph preferred.
- Masters degree or higher
- Experience developing dashboards using Tableau, Qlik, Power BI, RShiny, plotly, or d3.js
- Experience with version control software like Git
- Experience with Agile development
- Management consulting experience desired